Lifeline Program

Lifeline is a government program established to make monthly telephone service OR monthly internet service more affordable for qualifying households.

Pioneer provides a discount of up to $19.02 per month for each qualifying household under the Lifeline Telephone service program. This $19.02 discount breaks down as follows: State offers a $7.77 discount on Telephone service if you qualify and Federal offers a $9.25 credit toward Telephone service or Internet service if you qualify.

A customer’s household is eligible for the Lifeline Program discount if that customer’s annual household income is at or below 135% of the federal poverty guidelines, or if the customer, a dependent, or the customer’s household participates in one or more of the following:

Participation programs include:

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly Food Stamps
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Medicaid
  • Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
  • Veterans Pensions and Survivors Benefit Programs

Can be used on Telephone OR Internet

Eligible households may only have Lifeline on one wireless telephone or one wireline telephone, not both. Lifeline customers may not transfer their Lifeline discount to another person even if the other person is eligible.


To apply for Lifeline, customers should review and complete these program documents:

Customers should then bring the application into any Pioneer office, along with documentation that would provide evidence to support your eligibility based upon the above outlined eligibility requirements. Examples of this would be as follows:

  • Prior year state or federal tax return
  • Three consecutive months of statements for any of the following:
    • Paycheck stub or current income statement from an employer;
    • Social Security Administration statement of benefits;
    • Retirements/pension statement of benefits;
    • Veterans Administration statement of benefits;
    • Unemployment/Workman’s compensation statement of benefits;
    • Divorce decree or child support documents.